Academic Advising

If a student believes they have been assigned an inaccurate or unfair grade, they may submit a formal appeal through the following process. Any appeal must be initiated by the student with the instructor before the conclusion of the next semester (including summer). Students should be advised that in most instances a grade may be changed only by the instructor. Only in the case of obvious computational error or blatant abuse of the grading prerogative, can the Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs, the only other individual on campus empowered to change a grade, alter a student’s grade.

  1. Meet with the instructor: The student shall contact the faculty member and schedule a meeting to discuss the grade appeal and attempt to resolve the conflict. The faculty member and student shall meet within the next five (5) work days.*
  2. Meet with the Program Director/Department Chair: If the issue was not resolved in Step 1 above, the student has three (3) work days from the date of the faculty member’s decision to file a written appeal with the faculty member’s Program or Department Chair, or with the Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs if the faculty member is also the Department Head or Program Director. Within three (3) working days, the Department Chair, or VPASA, will mediate the dispute either through discussion with the instructor, or with the student in the company of the faculty member. If no resolution is reached, proceed to Step 3 below.
  3. File an appeal with the Vice President of Academic & Student Affairs (VPASA): If the issue is not resolved in Step 2 above, the student has three (3) working days to file a written appeal with the VPASA. The letter of appeal must include student's name, contact information, course name and number, instructor's name and rationale for the appeal. The VPASA will meet with all parties concerned within the next three (3) work days to attempt to resolve the dispute. The VPASA will have three (3) work days from the last meeting to render a decision on the grade appeal. The decision of the VPASA is final.

* NOTE: During the summer, when instructors are not on campus, students may begin the grade appeal process with the Office of Academic & Student Affairs. Every attempt will be made to have the faculty member contacted and meet with the student within the specified time. On occasion, however, these times may need to be adjusted.