Academic Advising

The goal of the School Certifying Official is to assist prospective and enrolled veterans, reservists, guardsmen, and their eligible dependents in accessing education benefits available through the Department of Veterans Affairs while meeting their educational objective at RVCC.

Please contact the School Certifying Official at for information on how to apply for VA education benefits.

VA Contact Information:
     Phone: Phone: 888-GIBILL1 (888.442.4551)
     Mail: VA Regional Office PO Box 4616, Buffalo, NY 14240-4616

Enrollment certification for properly documented VA Beneficiary Students is electronically reported to the Veteran Administration in a two-part process.

The number of credits the beneficiary is enrolled in will be certified once the student notifies the School Certifying Official that they have registered.

Tuition and fees will then be reported after the add/drop period has passed.

Students must follow the program of study listed in their catalog as the School Certifying Official can only certify courses within that program.

VA funded students are responsible for immediately notifying the College’s School Certifying Official at before taking any action affecting their enrollment status (such as course drops, adds, or non-passing grades). Failure to do so may result in a debt to the VA.

All students must contact the VA School Certifying Official before adding or changing a major. Additional information will be required by the VA before the College can certify a second major or a change in major.

Satisfactory progress toward completion, as specified in the Academic Standards section of this Catalog, must be maintained.

Veterans who utilize Chapter 30 or 1606 must verify their enrollment each month to receive payment for that month. Enrollment can be verified on the last calendar day of the month by using Web Automated Verification of Enrollment (WAVE) at or by calling the VA toll free at 888.442.4551.

In compliance with Section 103 of the Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018, River Valley Community College will not impose the following penalties to covered individuals* due to the delayed disbursement of funding from the Department of Veteran Affairs:

  • preventing nor delaying the student’s enrollment,
  • the assessment of late fees,
  • the denial of access to any resources available to other students who have satisfied their tuition and fees bills to the institution, including but not limited to classes, libraries, or other institutional facilities,
  • or require the student to secure alternative or additional funding

To qualify for this provision, such students are required to:

  • Produce a Certificate of Eligibility**;
  • Provide written request to be certified;
  • Provide additional information needed to properly certify the enrollment as required by the Primary School Certifying Official.

This provision ends on the earlier of the following dates:

  • The date on which payment from the VA is made to the institution
  • 90 days after the date the institution certified tuition and fees following the receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility

*Covered individual is defined as any individual who is entitled to educational assistance under Chapter 31, Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment, or Chapter 33, Post 9/11 G.I. Bill®

**Certificate of Eligibility is defined as a Certificate of Eligibility, a Statement of Benefits, or a Tungsten Network Purchase Order.

The Community College System of New Hampshire (CCSNH) has adopted the following policies, which provide for payment of in-state tuition rates for VA Beneficiaries under U.S.C. § 3011 and § 3311 living in New Hampshire. More specifically, CCSNH system finance policies at 421.01.1 provide: A veteran, as defined under RSA 21:50, I, or a covered individual, as defined under Chapter 30 or 33 of Title 38 of the United States Code using educational assistance benefits provided under federal law, shall be charged in-state tuition while living in New Hampshire and enrolled in any institution of the Community College System of New Hampshire.

A spouse or child using educational assistance benefits provided pursuant to Chapter 30 or 33 of Title 38 of the United States Code shall be charged in-state tuition while living in New Hampshire and enrolled in any institution of the Community College System of New Hampshire. In-state tuition shall be charged to all covered individuals, including but not limited to the following circumstances: Any veteran that has a three-year period of service and an honorable discharge and any veteran for whom this period of service is followed by a four-year period of service, and there is a dishonorable discharge. All of the discharges enumerated in 38 U.S.C. § 3311(c) and 38 U.S.C. § 3011 will be interpreted to fall under New Hampshire RSA 21:50, I, (a)(2).

In applying the policies, the term “spouse” will be interpreted to include current spouses, former spouses, and same-sex spouses and the term “child” will be interpreted to include biological, adopted, pre-adoptive, and stepchildren of a spouse, including of a same-sex spouse or former spouse. Please contact the School Certifying Official at if you need assistance or have questions.

GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). More information about education benefits offered by VA is available at the official U.S. government Web site at