Students may test out of certain courses through the Credit by Examination (CBE) process.
In order to be considered for a CBE, the student must meet the following criteria:
- The student must be matriculated in a program at RVCC.
- The student can demonstrate that by study, training or experience outside RVCC has acquired skill or knowledge equivalent to that acquired by students enrolled in a College course. Such skill, knowledge or experience shall be in the area of the course concerned; and determined to be relevant by the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs or other authorized personnel, based on evidence that the background prerequisites justify allowing the student to take the exam. Background prerequisites shall include the student’s academic or employment record or both; and / or faculty recommendations.
- The student must have a cGPA of 2.0 or higher.
- Request must be for a regular course listed in the catalog.
- The student has not previously attempted a CBE for this course, be enrolled in the course, previously received a grade for the course at any CCSNH school, has been administratively withdrawn from the course, has dropped the course after the two-week drop/add period or has withdrawn from the course.
The student shall apply to the Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs or authorized person of the College by completing the appropriate RVCC CBE Request Form. Upon approval, the student will pay a non-refundable fee of $25 per credit to the Business Office. The student must complete the CBE within one month of approval.
Students must earn a C or higher in the exam. If successful, the appropriate credits earned are applied to the student’s program. Credit will not be given for grades below “C”. A student receiving a grade below a “C” is ineligible for another CBE in that course.